I yen for a backslash!

From: Mike Ayers (mayers@celequest.com)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 13:14:51 CST

            I'm trying to build a project on a Japanese Windows server. I am
    getting a failure and trying to track it down. I've gotten very
    confused about backslash and yen. The Unicode mapping
    (ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP932.TXT)
    places backslash at x5c and yen at x818f. The console window on the
    Japanese server accepts (alt-numpad) 92 (x5c) as yen. Strangest of all,
    wordpad (alt-x) shows yen at x5c. Since wordpad deals in Unicode
    values, I interpret this to mean that a font level glyph substitution is
    being used. Can I interpret this to mean that my Java et. al. source
    code will be correctly interpreted by the compilers, even though they
    appear to have yen signs where all the backslashes should be?

            Thanks,

    /|/|ike