maqaf

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 13:22:35 CST

               Elaine Keown
               in middle America

    Hi,

    I have forwarded the suggested maqaf proposal
    http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2006-m01/0008.html

    to a professor of Modern Hebrew at UMass, Shmuel
    Bolozky. I also sent it to his programmer, Ben
    Gelbart.

    Prof. Bolozky and Mr. Gelbart are among a group of
    Israelis who are working on building a modern Hebrew
    corpus.

    I'm very glad this issue came up this way. I became
    aware recently that some Hebrew marks are still used
    in modern Hebrew poetry. I only know their Biblical
    usage, alas.

    I also suggested that Prof. Bolozky send the suggested
    proposal to "Hebrew Linguistics: A Journal for Hebrew
    Descriptive,
    Computational and Applied Linguistics"--if they have
    an electronic discussion group.

    Elaine Keown