Re: Unidentified North Borneo script?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 18:07:35 CST

    > Sorry, I just noticed I sent the small thumbnail url. Adding an "x" does
    > the trick: < http://naxum.tripod.com/heraldry/32xnb.jpg >.
    >
    > What now? Is it regular Arabic (spelling Malay) rotated 90°, on the left,
    > and clumsyly drawn Chinese, on the right?

    Yes.

    The Chinese on this one is ban4yuan2 "half dollar", again in a
    funky seal script form.

    These are in the same series as the 10c and 20c surcharged on $1
    red coat of arms stamps listed on the jaysmith.com URL that Richard
    Wordingham sent, except that the Chinese is using a funky seal
    script form, whereas the red heraldry examples on jaysmith.com
    are using badly written kai script forms for the characters.
    They are different engravings from different years, but otherwise
    the designs are essentially identical

    --Ken