Re: [almost OT] Music score with RTL lyrics

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 11:19:21 CST

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Mar 2006, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
    >

    >>As one can see, it follows your second proposal: LTR score (that is, a
    >>standard score any world musician can read) with (normally-written RTL)
    >>syllables under the respectable notes.
    >>

    >What happens with the five special glyphs used normally only
    >at the end of a word? Are they also used at the end of a syllable
    >when a word is broken up?

    No, only when it really is the end of the word. A mid-word
    syllable-ending letter is in medial form.

    (for that matter, when the sound /p/ occurs finally, as it does in
    borrowings and such, it's always written with a bent PE. Medial letters
    are not so unheard-of in final-like positions. Same kind of thing goes
    on in crossword puzzles, since what's final for one word isn't for another).

    >How would you to this for Arabic?

    A more interesting question. Hebrew's final forms are mostly typographic
    and historical in nature at this point. Arabic's forms flow directly
    from the cursive writing style still used. Hebrew written with
    badly-used final/medial forms looks, I am sure, far less hideous and
    unreadable than Arabic in a similar situation.

    ~mark