Re: [almost OT] Music score with RTL lyrics

From: Ilya Konstantinov (future@shiny.co.il)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 11:34:25 CST

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > What happens with the five special glyphs used normally only
    > at the end of a word? Are they also used at the end of a syllable
    > when a word is broken up?
    In Hebrew, most definitely not. As a native speaker, a final letter at the end of a (not last) syllable would probably confuse me, leading me to think that's the end of the word. (Of course, that's not my only way of determining a word's ending, since only a handful of Hebrew letters have final forms.) You should probably follow the example[1] of the lyrics I've posted in my previous message and put a HEBREW PUNCTUATION MAQAF after every syllable which is not the final syllable. The MAQAF should go to the left of the syllable (that is, in the regular RTL order). In English lyrics, the HYPHEN might take a similar function.

    Obviously, you should use a final letter in the last syllable of a word, just as you'd do when the word isn't broken into syllables.

    [1] http://www.betar.org.il/music/005.jpg