Re: Re: [Fwd: Re: Need help in interpreting symbol 225e (measured by)]

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 16:20:14 CST

    From: "Gusztáv Jánvári" <me@gusztav.janvari.name>
    > To keep you informed, this time we have decided to use the translation of
    > "by measure" as the name of the symbol as it also starts with an "m" and I
    > think we can use "m over equal" to express that some things are
    > "experimentally equal" as just we can use "d over equal" to express that an
    > equality comes from a definition.

    Note that with "experimentally" you are implicitly limiting the usage to physics. A measure could be defined formally in mathematics without using any experimental process. (For example, think about the case where the character could be used to equate the norm of two vectors, computed on some formal base of unit vectors).