Re: East Asian Emphasis Marks (Japanese bouten, etc)

From: Ken Lunde (lunde@adobe.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 18:11:08 CST

    Fantasai,

    You wrote:

    > Could you explain that in a little more detail, please?
    >
    > I take what you said to mean that
    > - U+FE45 and U+FE46 have their own glyphs

    Correct.

    > - these glyphs are intended to be scaled down to 50% of the text
    > size

    Scaling to 50% size is one possible use. They can also be used at
    their original size, of course.

    > - therefore in the font they are approximately twice the size of the
    > comma rather than approximately the same size

    The comment above applies here.

    > - therefore an application wishing to use U+FE45 as an emphasis mark
    > should scale its glyph down by half before rendering it
    > Is that correct?

    It depends on whether it is to be used as an annotation, which would
    lend itself to scaling, or inline as part of the text. At least in
    Japanese, typical usage would be like ruby, meaning as annotations
    above other characters.

    We chose to implement our ruby glyphs, including these annotative
    marks, in a way that requires applications to scale them to the
    intended size. Why? Prior to having fonts with dedicated glyphs for
    ruby (meaning the complete set of kana, plus a few more symbols),
    applications were already scaling standard glyphs. We found it
    practical to preserve that aspect of usage, and to design the glyphs
    so that they would look appropriate when scaled.

    Regards...

    -- Ken