Re: Compound combining marks

From: James Cloos (cloos@jhcloos.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 23:18:44 CST

    David> I notice that Unicode 5.0 has several compound combining marks
    David> (macron plus acute, etc.) at U+1DC4..1DC9.

    I made that same mis-assumption about those character based on their
    names. A look at the code chart at:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.0.0/charts/CodeCharts-5.0.0d1.pdf

    shows that they are not two diacritics but rather a blend.

    Eg, macron-acute starts out like a macron and takes a sharp turn up
    at the halfway point, akin to the acute. Something like this bad
    ascii art of « U+0223 U+1DC4 »:

    | _/
    | ou

    (That is LATIN SMALL LETTER OU with COMBINING MACRON-ACUTE.)

    -JimC

    --
    James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos@jhcloos.com>