Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 13:26:20 CST

    The purpose in the standard for describing the rendering of different
    scripts is not to limit the range of variations available to type
    designers. It is really to establish how a given string that a user sees
    is to be represented internally. For complex scripts, the ordering (and
    to a certain degree the shaping behavior) has to be a fundamental part
    of the encoding standard; otherwise it is impossible to get
    interoperability across systems.

    Mark