Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 11:19:00 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Mandatory things like visual inversions (of vowel signs letters
    > beforethe consonnant cluster, or of a leading dead RA after the
    > consonnant letter) MUST still be specified in TUS.

    Thanks for giving me the hand!

    You can specify when there is an unambiguous behaviour to be followed.
    Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

    Example 1, Hindi: should the I matra precedes the whole cluster, or only the
    last freestanding consonant, in the case of a cluster constituted from two
    or more visually distinct components?

    Example 2, Malayalam: dead RA can come either _before_ the (last part of
    the) consonant, or _below_ it.
    Not _quite_ the same thing, particularly if you contrast it with the fact
    that Uniscribe (and several similar rendering tools) will reorder the
    leading RA before the consonant in the backing store, but it will not do
    this reorder for a subjoined RA...

    Example 3, Malayalam again: the matra for AU U+0D4C can be shown either as
    two parts (as depicted in the tables), or only as the right part.

    Now what exactly can *mandate* the Standard (if it were in charge of, which
    it is not, as I remember earlier)?

    Antoine