RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 00:58:55 CST

    > From: Philippe Verdy [mailto:verdy_p@wanadoo.fr]

    > > The text in your screenshots looks to me like it might be Arial Unicode
    > MS. As I explained earlier, this font does not provide shaping support for
    > all scripts. That is a font issue, not an issue with IE.
    >
    > "I" am not using it. The page does not specify it and not even its CSS
    > stylesheets. IE just decides itself to this font instead of the font that
    > I have properly set up for these Bengali, Oriya, Telugu and Malayalam
    > scripts. For example In IE, the "Kartika" or "Akshar Unicode" fonts are
    > manually preselected for Malayalam instead of the default. As well, for
    > Bengali, the "Rupali" or "Solaiman Lipi" or "Vrinda" fonts are preselected
    > instead of the default.
    >
    > If the installation of "Arial Unicode MS" by Office puts havoc to the
    > rendering of Indic scripts, then this breaks Windows and IE,

    Well, installation of Arial Unicode MS does *not* wreak havoc on the rendering of Indic scripts in IE -- I have that font installed, and I showed you a screen shot of your web page. If your system is not working the same, then I'm not sure why. Why don't you go into RegEdit and export the following key and send it to me offline:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\Scripts

    > But what I don't understand is that it does not break Firefox (whch should
    > normally select the same font with the samelogic) or Notepad

    Notepad does not have any specific logic for selecting fonts -- it selects what the user specifies, and the Windows text stack fills in gaps. IE has it's own logic that it uses for selecting fonts.

    > But after thought, you just gave me the solution: deleting "Arial Unicode
    > MS" from the Fonts folder, when Office has been installed on the system...
    > (I hope it will not be restored automatically from Office Update...)

    Office does not install that font by default; it is an optional component installed only if you select it in the Office setup. If you don't want it on your system, then rather than simply delete the font, I suggest you go into the Office setup and uninstall it.

    Peter Constable