Re: Musical symbols

From: Cary Karp (
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 06:01:21 CST

  • Next message: Cary Karp: "Re: Musical symbols"

    Quoting Asmus Freytag:

    > I've found two musical symbols that I can not locate in Unicode.
    > One looks like and upside-down V over the last chord in a song.
    > I have no idea of its function. It is not an actual letter V, just a V
    > like shape.

    That's a garden variety accent mark, used to indicate brief dynamic
    emphasis. It resembles an inverted V above a note or chord written
    stem down, and a normal V below a note or chord written stem up.

    > The other looks like a corner bracket, and is apparently used
    > to indicate that a note belongs to a voice that's normally in the
    > treble or base clef, but is shown on the other staff, because
    > it's unusually high or low.

    I'm not certain what this is describing. Can you provide an
    illustration of the symbol in context?


    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Mar 22 2006 - 06:07:17 CST