Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 09:29:45 CST

    James Kass wrote:
    > When Oriya was included in pan-Unicode fonts such as Arial
    > Unicode MS or Code2000, no Indic-script specific OpenType
    > specifications were available, if I'm not mistaken.

    Difficult to be precise, it was more or less at the same moment.
    The Indic OpenType specifications are dated (well, the earliest draft I have
    seen) end of 1997.
    Arial Unicode MS was included with Office 9 (released mid-1999), so I guess
    the bulk of the work was done end of 1997 early 1998 too (particularly it
    could very well have been subcontracted.)
    Please remember that the version shipped with Office 9 is marked release
    0.84, i.e. suggest an unfinished thingy.

    Of course, both teams worked in separate places.

    Antoine