Re: Musical symbols

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 19:27:45 CST

    Asmus,

    Not in so many words, but that's the general idea. What I actually said was:

    > Just use a corner bracket. There are plenty of elongated brackets and
    > corners and other stuff used in musical notation. For some of them, you
    > would need to use graphics; for others, just use characters from other
    > Unicode blocks.

    In the case that Simon pointed to:
            http://smontagu.org/images/quodlibet.png
    the things are probably represented by graphical characters from some "pi"
    font -- or could be represented by characters from the 2300 block as you
    say.

    As Ken has already said... There are other times, as for 1st and 2nd
    ending brackets, pedal brackets, etc, where you will want to use actual
    graphics that stretch and bend around segments of notes, etc. For a musical
    score of any complexity, it's definitely *not* the case that everything
    you see on the page is a character in the 1D100 block.

    > the code would effectively be a
    > shorthand for a more complicated drawing operation

    E.g., the characters U+1D73 through U+1D17A.

            Rick