Re: Case insensitive comparisons

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 12:12:03 CST

    Jony Rosenne wrote:
    > in
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
    > ml/StringsinNET20.asp
    >
    > Microsoft recommends for case insensitive comparisons:
    >
    > "DO: Use ToUpperInvariant rather than ToLowerInvariant when normalizing
    > strings for comparison."
    >
    > I have seen similar recommendation elsewhere.
    >
    > However, I was under the impression that in Unicode it is better to do
    > ToLower for removing case, because of the German SS.
    >
    > Which is better? Should the UTC take a position?

    You should use a case-folding operation designed especially for
    case-insensitive comparisons. The operation will per-force be
    locale-dependent, as the locale would affect whether i is mapped to
    dotted or undotted I and so on.

    As far as Latin characters go for non-Turkic comparisons you would want
    to use upper case, because of the German SS - going to lower case
    there's no way to know whether to map SS to ss or ß.