RE: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 18:03:45 CST

    Kent Karlsson responded to Antoine Leca:

    > > I am confused here (and this is hardly new).
    > >
    > > I agree U+0D57 (as are its siblings xx55, xx56 or xx57 in the
    > > other scripts)
    > > do have the same properties etc. as the vowel signs, so this
    > > use could be
    > > possible without surgical operations on the UCD. But the
    > > current (5.0 draft)
    > > database says... :
    > > 0D57 MALAYALAM AU LENGTH MARK
    > > * only a representation of the right half of 0D4C
    >
    > I think that remark should be changed to something like:
    > "* the modern spelling of the AU matra"
    > "* right half of 0D4C"
    > with a similar remark:
    > "* the old spelling of the AU matra"
    > for U+0D4C. (And 0D4C and 0D57 should collate
    > with only a secondary level difference.)

    and since people seem so worked up about this particular
    topic, I will report that the *current* version of the
    Unicode 5.0 names list contains the entries:

    0D4C MALAYALAM VOWEL SIGN AU
            * archaic form of the /au/ dependent vowel
            x (malayalam au length mark - 0D57)

    0D57 MALAYALAM AU LENGTH MARK
            * used alone to write the /au/ dependent vowel in modern texts
            x (malayalam vowel sign au - 0D4C)

    That names list has not yet finished QA to be pushed up
    into the Unicode 5.0 beta directory, but will be soon.

    At that point, I hope we can quit flogging *this* particular
    dead horse and move on to lengthy disquisitions on other
    equally disturbing issues. ;-)

    --Ken