Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 03:39:15 CST

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > Kent Karlsson responded to Antoine Leca:
    >
    >>> I am confused here (and this is hardly new).
    >>> [...] But the current (5.0 draft) database says... :
    >>> 0D57 MALAYALAM AU LENGTH MARK
    >>> * only a representation of the right half of 0D4C
    >>
    >> I think that remark should be changed to something like:
    [...]
    > and since people seem so worked up about this particular
    > topic, I will report that the *current* version of the
    > Unicode 5.0 names list contains the entries:
    >

    > 0D4C MALAYALAM VOWEL SIGN AU
    > * archaic form of the /au/ dependent vowel
    > x (malayalam au length mark - 0D57)
    >
    > 0D57 MALAYALAM AU LENGTH MARK
    > * used alone to write the /au/ dependent vowel in modern texts
    > x (malayalam vowel sign au - 0D4C)

    Thanks Ken (and the gremlins), this is all what I needed to *read*.

    > That names list has not yet finished QA to be pushed up
    > into the Unicode 5.0 beta directory, but will be soon.

    So it is "current", but we cannot know about it (absolutely *no* way, and
    rest assured I tried several on Friday; the quote I did was from the d4
    version, elaborated March 8th.)
    Nor can this kind of issues being filtered to informal "IWG".
    (and as a result it makes me appear as being an old-fashioned always-ranting
    harsh person. Thanks :-))

    > At that point, I hope we can quit flogging *this* particular
    > dead horse and move on to lengthy disquisitions on other
    > equally disturbing issues. ;-)

    Sure. Here was my last rant about this, and I am done with it. No need to
    answer, I shall not answer!

    (Final point to Kent: Yes, I noted the decomposition, and at second thought
    I agree the only reasonable exit was this one; yet I prefer the move being
    done by UTC or the UCD gremlins, rather than convoluted deductions.)

    Antoine