Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 09:36:31 CST

    Antoine Leca <Antoine10646 at leca dash marti dot org> wrote:

    > Put it in clear: to write the French equivalent of Mrs, I can:
    > - either write the slightly incorrect Mme
    > - or write the more "correct" M[][] (where [] represent the empty box
    > that everybody except four cats will effectively see).
    >
    > Somewhere I am thinking this is *not* a working solution.

    This is what I consider the Great Unicode Conundrum. We want to use the
    rich character repertoire that Unicode provides, but we also want to
    avoid displaying mojibake on the user's screen, causing him to mumble
    and curse about "that stupid Unicode" or giving him security concerns.
    The problem persists because popular fonts are not always updated
    quickly and inexpensively to support new and rare Unicode characters.
    So we avoid using rare and -- more importantly -- newly added
    characters, preferring ASCII fallbacks of the sort Unicode was intended
    to replace.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA