Re: UTF-7

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 07:39:31 CST

    Hello,

    Kornkreismuster@web.de schrieb:
    > I got some problems understanding UTF-7.

    A short discussion (about 10 lines in German + 2 examples)
    can be found at <http://www.systems.uni-konstanz.de/Otto/Vortrag/Charset/Unicode-Grundlagen.html#UU-7>.

    > 2. Can you encode the full range of Unicode[...]?

    Yes.

    > 1. Is this format directly encoding the Unicode Codecharts, or an encoded UTF-version?

    As the answer to 2, above, is "yes", you could describe UTF-7 as an
    encoding of Unicode codepoints. However, you can understand the encoding
    better, if you describe it as a simple algorithm on top of UTF-16.

    > 3. When it encodes a stream, does this format need any information,
    > with what UTF-X Format the string has been encoded?

    Of course, any algorithm must know how its input is encoded.
    But beyond this truism, no other info is required by an UTF-7 encoder.

    > 4. Can you use this just for UTF-16 (BE/LE) or for any UTF format?

    Any UTF is capable of encoding arbitrary Unicode code points,
    hence this question is beside the point.

    > 5. Can somebody tell me where to get an easy to read & complete description
          of the UTF-7 Format??

    What about RFC 2152 <http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2152/>?

    Best wishes,
        Otto Stolz