Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 00:42:03 CST

    From: "Kent Karlsson" <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se>
    > Unicode encodes scripts, not sounds.
    Not really, Unicode does not encode scripts (this is what ISO 15924 does). It only encodes characters, that are used to write those scripts (ormore exactly, script systems, because a script system may have several instances of a script, per ISO15924 definition, but Unicode unifies some of them, such as Roman Latin, and Fraktur Latin).

    But then some scripts use their characters to "encode" sounds, and the script has a phonological structure (IPA is a script system by itself, with a core script used to represent a phonetic script, and many script instances with slight variants, used to denote the phonological system of actual spoken languages.).

    Although Unicode does not directly encode sounds, it has the characters needed to "encode" sounds in phonological or phonetical scripts.

    (I use quotes around "encode" above, because this is not really an encoding, as there's no code associated, but it's just a representation with abstract characters, as defined in the script system and its associated scripts).