Re: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 04:28:20 CST

    Kent Karlsson wrote:
    > Antoine Leca wrote:
    >
    >>>For typeset modern German text DIEARESIS is consistently used (though
    >>>most often via precomposed letters).
    >>
    >>So, does it mean I am allowed to have/design a font that draws diaeresis as
    >>two strokes (not dots),
    >

    > Not getting into the swampland of "special purpose", "hand-writing
    > mimicking" (etc.) fonts, but staying with regular print fonts:
    >
    > I'd say no. The dots could be round, (slightly) oval, square, tilted square,
    > or similar. But NOT look like two acute accents, a tilde, nor a macron.

    I'd say they can look like two black-footed albatrosses engaged in a
    mating dance if he wants.

    It's a good vs. bad thing rather than a right vs. wrong thing. Such a
    font only becomes bad if the character is then used as a "two acute
    accents" character (or a "two black-footed albatrosses" character or
    whatever).