RE: How to encode abbreviations [Was: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs]

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 14:36:42 CST

    Keutgen, Walter wrote:
    > * Do I correctly understand the Unicode standard regarding this?

    No, you can use allocated characters any way you (or someone else)
    like; including using superscript characters for superscripts (would be
    kind of surprising if you weren't allowed that).

    Yes, I often advocate restraint. But that is aimed at implementors
    (of fonts and other text supporting software components).

    > * Are you advocating that some kind of formatting marks be
    > added to Unicode for this purpose?

    No. "Higher-level protocols" (like markup) is out of scope.

                    /kent k