Re: Myanmar Innwa encoding questions

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 18:53:06 CST

    Ngwe Tun wrote on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 12:36 AM

    > I would like to point out some wrong expressiong in geminate ddha section,
    > It's totally wrong for that expression. It would not be form as geminate
    > ddha.

    > It's possible to form as DDA + VIRAMA + DDHA sequence expression.

    When discussing the varga combinations in Pali it is widespread practice to
    refer to combinations such as DD.DDH as 'geminates' - possibly because
    combinations such as DDH.DDH are not permitted in Pali. It's also possible
    that the term is a mistranslation of yamaka. I put the term in quotes
    because they are indeed not true geminates - adjacent aspirated consonants
    were written in Classical Greek and occur in Armenian.

    Richard.