Re: PRI#86 Update

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 15:53:04 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 8:40 AM

    > From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
    >> Philippe Verdy wrote on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 3:48 PM

    >>> the stability of normalized forms, and so should better not apply any
    >>> normalization, to keep the texts intact (this is a conforming behavior,
    >>> as

    >> Please give an example of how normalising text with an undefined
    >> character
    >> can corrupt the text.

    > I did not use the terms "corrupt the text", only you did, assuming that
    > normalization instability means a text corruption...

    Neither of us meant what the other thought. I thought you meant one should
    avoid normalising such texts so as not to corrupt them, but I couldn't see
    how correct normalisation would corrupt them. The point about normalisation
    stabilisation is that once Unicode-compliant text is in NFC, or NFD, or
    NFKC, or NFKD, it should remain in that form forever even as the Unicode
    standard develops. This matters if inputting a text to a non-Unicode
    compliant process.

    I would say that if non-compliant text (because it contains an undefined
    codepoint) needs to be in NFC, convert it or reject it. The problem is that
    it will need reconverting if it becomes less non-compliant with Unicode but
    no longer NFC.

    Richard.