Combining Latin Small Letter A

From: theiling@absint.com
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 07:26:45 CDT

    Hi!

    I am new to this list. My name is Henrik Theiling and I am currently
    implementing some Unicode support libraries for the company I am
    working for. (And I am doing so because I have great interest in
    languages and Unicode.) So, Hello!

    I have a question. I tried to find some answer in FAQs, in the
    archives of this list, and with Google, but failed.

    While programming a compatibility decomposition plus case folding (two
    things in one step), I noticed that

        U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI
    is converted to
        U+03B9 GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA

    but that code positions like

        U+0363 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER A
    is not converted to
        U+0061 LATIN SMALL LETTER A

    And some similar combining chars accordingly.

    Is there a reason for it? This would then result in some letter-like
    chars not being found when searching for them as a letter.

    Or am I missing some tables for more aggressive case folding or
    compat. normalisations?

    Bye,
      Henrik

    PS: Another category of chars not converted are, e.g.,

            U+31F0 KATAKANA LETTER SMALL KU
        is not converted to
            U+30AF KATAKANA LETTER KU