Re: Combining Latin Small Letter A

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 13:56:45 CDT

    On 5/18/06, theiling@absint.com <theiling@absint.com> wrote:
    > Is there a reason for it? This would then result in some letter-like
    > chars not being found when searching for them as a letter.

    If you are interested in searching and matching, you might be better
    served by a collation-based search rather than normalizing, case
    folding, and other hand-picked processing.

    Unicode defines a default collation algorithm and describes searching
    and matching based on it: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

    ICU implements this and provides language-specific tailorings as well
    as many knobs and levers for customization:
    http://icu.sourceforge.net/userguide/Collate_Intro.html

    Best regards,
    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless
    otherwise noted.