Re: apostrophes

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 21:21:50 CDT

    David Starner <prosfilaes at gmail dot com> replied to Steve Summit <scs
    at eskimo dot com>:

    >> Funny you should mention that -- just yesterday I was realizing that
    >> having distinct code points for "full stop" versus "decimal point",
    >> and "comma" versus "thousands separator", would be quite useful,
    >> especially when doing on-the-fly conversion of text to properly
    >> locale-representative forms.
    >
    > But they wouldn't be useful. They would be confused all the time, and
    > hardly any data would exist that used them properly. It's not that
    > hard to invent a system to distinguish them if you working on a closed
    > system where they will be reliabily distinguished; if you have to do
    > it at the character set level, you have private use points.

    In fact, the concept of a generic decimal-point character is used in the
    ISO "Principles and Procedures" document
    (http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n3002.pdf) as a classic example
    of what *not* to encode. See section F.4 on page 28.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA