Re: Latin Extended C (Unicode 5.0 BETA2) in the Unicode Roadmap

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 21:09:12 CDT

    On 5/16/2006 10:00 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > Latin Extended C (as described in unicode 5.0 BETA2) is still refered in the Unicode Roadmap with the old description document N2847 (on the JTC1/SC2/WG2 website), dated 21 October 2004, revised 9 December 2004.
    > Isn't there a more recent document on this website that the Roadmap should reference and that corresponds to the Unicode 5.0 BETA which has additional characters?

    It's tremendously time consuming to keep everything updated perfectly at
    all times because there's no magic automatic process.

    That said, things are done in some order of priority. Getting the
    correct characters and names into the various ballots and betas is of
    the highest priority, and so is writing the text that will actually be
    in the standard.

    Next come tracking documents such as pipeline and similar.

    Non-binding documents, such as the roadmap, come lower. Unfortunately,
    this means that every once in a while you will not see the latest state
    of affairs for a while. You will just have to wait until the volunteer
    in charge of that web page has time to devote to updating it.

    One document which attempts to list all relevant documents for
    *accepted* characters, is my "Summary of Repertoire", available via the
    WG2 document registry. For the post 5.0 characters. the document number
    is N3059. For the one corresponding to 5.0 you will have to look for the
    FDAM 2 repertoire document in the document register.

    This is a very useful document, since it is the source from which the
    ballot document and ultimately the codecharts are derived. By reading
    early versions of this, you will be able to review things while there is
    still time to make corrections. And, as I've said. it does attempt to
    give the documents that proposed the characters in question.

    A./