RE: apostrophes

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 02:45:49 CDT

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > There seems to be some confusion around the term "alternate quotation
    > marks". Some people apparently think that the term refers to different

    > style of quotation marks, alternative quotations marks.
    > (Several languages
    > have to sets of quotation marks, one commonly used in books
    > and another
    > commonly used in newspapers, office documents, etc.) The
    > misunderstanding
    > is understandable, since the term is misleading.
    >
    > It would be better to call them "inner quotation marks". This
    > would not
    > match the idea of _alternating_ quotation marks, i.e. the
    > idea that you
    > have two pairs of quotation marks to be used alternatingly in nested
    > quotations.

    I agree. In addition, some of the CLDR data seems to indicate that
    the current notions have also been misunderstood as "fallback quotation
    marks", since so many entries use the ASCII quotation marks.

    - quotation marks
    - inner quotation marks
    - alternate quotation marks
    - alternate inner quotation marks
    would be suitable to give data for. I don't think there's a need for
    specifying
    fallback quotation marks, since that is an entirely different issue.

                    /kent k

    PS
    If you want to trim the number of data items, how about removing some
    of the date/time formatting formats, which are in overabundance.