Re: Tentative Definition of Casefolding

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 15:09:34 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on Sunday, June 11, 2006 at 7:30 PM
    Subject: Re: Tentative Definition of Casefolding

    > From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
    >> Yes, but consider titlecasing 'ffrench' in the appropriate English
    >> locale!

    > Huh? There's no French word that starts with a double F, so a double-f
    > ligature (which has compatibility equivalence with <f, f>) will not occur
    > in positions where titlecasing applies, not even in English.

    > "Ffrench" or "Ffrançais" or "ffrench" or "ffrançais" do not exist in
    > French! And there's no titlecasing in the middle of a word in French.

    'ffrench', 'ffinch' and 'ffife' are all English surnames. Just google for
    them! I didn't mean to cause confusion. I'm not aware of this phenomenon
    in any other language, though surnames beginning with a uncapitalised
    grammatical word are common enough.

    My point was that where initial 'ff' titlecases to 'ff', titlecase("f") +
    lowercase("french") is not equal to titlecase("ffrench"), but there is
    nothing defective about either substring.

    Richard.