Re: UTF-8 can be used for more than it is given credit

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 12:39:08 CDT

    Theodore H. Smith wrote on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 11:27 AM

    > <U+03C9, U+0345, U+0301, U+0302, U+0307, U+0308, U+0F73> ( ῴཱི̂̇̈ ) will
    > uppercase to: U+03A9, U+0F71, U+0F72, U+0301, U+0302, U+0307, U+0308,
    > U+0399 ( Ώཱི̂̇̈Ι ) now

    Well done!

    > Funnily enough... when I do an NFD on ( ῴཱི̂̇̈ ), it ends up looking
    > like a different character: ( ῴཱི̂̇̈ ). I'm not sure why it should look
    > different. Either a bug in my code, or perhaps my OS is using an older
    > version of Unicode?

    No, it's just a rendering failure. In the first case the fonts used do not
    have any data for U+0F73; after NFD they do not have any data for the two
    characters to which it decomposes, U+0F71 and U+0F72.

    "Is this single pass, or multi-pass? I think it has to be multi-pass.
    And,
    to transform to NFD, it needs, for Unicode 4.1.0, 55,903 codepoint
    swaps to
    be stored in the data table. "

    While my uppercaser does do stuff using a single-pass replacement...
    my combining reorder does not use a "parallell replace all".

    It does a "parallell search", and then uses single-pass combiner-re-
    ordering specific code on the items found in the search. It can in
    theory also reorder byte-wise combining characters, given a correct
    data-set, but I don't know if even a character set exists whose
    characters take up one byte and has combining characters!!

    "However, I believe you are having to resort to multiple passes
    because you don't store canonical combining class."

    > I am storing the class, in a 1 byte long string :) Well, to do NFD is two
    > pass, because there is the decomposition pass, and then the reordering
    > pass.

    > The re-ordering pass, is not using my "multiple-replaceall" algorithm. It
    > does use the canonical combining classes. A multi-pass approach, while
    > possible... I wouldn't do, it would take too long.

    And this was the basis of the claim that you couldn't just treat characters
    as 'bags of bytes'!

    > I hope I don't have to do a NFD after the uppercase?

    I think you don't, but you would after a Turkic uppercasing (<U+0069,
    U+0331> to <U+0069, U+0331, U+0307> - not normal text) or a Lithuanian
    lowercasing (<U+0049, U+0328, U+0301> to <U+0069, U+0328, U+0307, U+0301> -
    very plain text!) if you wanted the output to be in NFD.

    Richard.