Re: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2006 - 07:08:14 CDT

    John Hudson wrote on Saturday, June 17, 2006 at 4:13 AM

    > No, this is not correct. The Unicode 4.0 and later code charts for the
    > Greek Extended block definitely have this right: the correct form of e.g.
    > U+1F08 (uppercase Alpha with psili breathing mark) plus U+0345 the
    > combining subscript iota is with an adscript iota. [Okay, so the actual
    > form shown in the code charts isn't very good, because the adscript iota
    > is normally identical to the regular iota, but the idea is correct: it
    > certainly isn't a subscript iota.]

    Surely the point here is that <U+1F08, U+0345> and <U+1F08, U+03B9> should
    be different in Modern Greek. The corresponding lower cases are <U+1F00,
    U+0345> and <U+1F00, U+03B9>, which are distinct in all styles. A
    classicist would probably write a diaeresis on the U+03B9 in both the lower
    and title case forms of the second combination. Is it not better for the
    charts to show a distinction being made rather than one being obscured?
    There are several pairs of characters that many fonts deliberately do not
    distinguish, but so far as I am aware the code charts do distinguish them.

    Richard.