Re: Proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK symbol in the BMP

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 20:51:18 CDT

    From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Michael Everson wrote:
    >
    >> It seems to me that the character as proposed is a symbol found as a text
    >> element in a wide variety of printed and on-line sources.
    >
    > By the way, could someone comment on the use of such symbols in
    > right-to-left scripts? It seems to me that the proposed shape postulates
    > left-to-right and top-to-bottom writing direction. This is one of the
    > reasons why it looks like an iconic image rather than something definable
    > as character.

    Why do you think that? Couldn't the symbol be marked as mirrorable, and sensitive to the writing direction, like the parenthese punctuation signs?

    Note that neither Unicode nor ISO:IEC make the glyphs normative. The mirrorable punctuations are exhibited with a representative glyph which matches only one writing direction.

    i don't think that such proposal postulates anything on the writing direction. Turn the glyph as needed for your web design. Note also that the various glyphs/icons used on the web have variable direction for the arrow (in LTR documents, sometimes oblique and pointing to North-East, sometimes pointing to the right, but to the left in RTL documents).

    The exact form of the arrow is also variable (sometimes thick, sometimes thin, sometimes multicolored, sometimes outlined, sometimes not...); what is really encoded is a abstract meaning.