Re: New to Unicode

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 07:19:21 CDT

    On 25/07/06, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > There are dstinct language codes now for Wu, Cantonese, Yi, ... Why continuing to use "zh" for them?

    Yi ?!? Yi is not a variety of Chinese, but a separate, completely
    unrelated language. No-one, as far as I know, has ever used "zh" for
    Yi.

    > "zh" should only be used for spoken Mandarin, independantly of the fact it is written with Traditional or Simplified Han characters.

    If you only use "zh" for *spoken* Mandarin it's not going to be much
    use for web pages ... and if it's only spoken Mandarin then its not
    going to be written with either traditional or simplified characters!

    Anyway, "zh" is not intended to be restricted to Mandarin, but can be
    used for any flavour of Chinese. What code would you use for web pages
    written in classical Chinese? I'm pretty sure that Confucius did not
    speak Mandarin, but most Chinese would identify his writings as being
    in Chinese.

    Andrew