Re: New to Unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 07:21:47 CDT

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    > The basic requirement is that the script in question must be used
    > "overwhelmingly" to write the language in question -- not necessarily
    > 100% of the time, but certainly 51% would not qualify.

    Have you got only one example where Breton is not written with the Latin script or one of its variants (like Celtic, Gothic and Germanic Fraktur)? (excepting Braille which is really meant for use as a different media, normally not read on paper with eyes, and printed or drawn with normal inks and tools).

    Breton usage of the Latin script is nearly 100% without ambiguity (there may exist some transcriptions with the Latin or Cyrillic script, but it wouldbe used by scholar linguists working on compared linguistic and phonetic features).

    I cited Breton because i don't know how the initial set of languages was specified; Those that have a designated script are either very wellknown and have global status, but there are endangered rare languages that are most likely known only in English speaking areas.

    This looks like if this field was an attempt to codify a proposal made by only one or a few persons, the field being accepted, but the values beling let to define later, so the few contributions were made by a few people that have little knowledge in that area or did not invest enough to seek for information, and that the content of this field was not widely reviewed; I would not recommand using it for now, as it is too far from being a stable draft; we'll need to review this list, and match it according to the better language<->script mappings in the CLDR, whose content has certainly been reviewed by much more people with different cultures and origins. (Note that even the CLDR extra data lacks information for the language<->script mappings, but this affects languages that are much less known).