Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 19:56:27 CDT

    After incorporating some more hints from the discussion, now the third
    draft of my proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR symbol
    is found at:
    http://www.europatastatur.de/material/ExternalLinkProposalDraft3.pdf

    The main changes:
    Name of the proposed symbol changed again from EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR
      to EXTERNAL LINK SIGN.
    Bidi_mirrored property no longer proposed to be "yes".
    Some discussion whether the symbol is really a character in the
      Unicode sesde.
    Short discussion of some more examples of external link symbols
      found on the Internet.

    --
    Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 um 18:47 schrieb Kenneth Whistler:
    (in the thread:
     Re: Draft 2 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR
     symbol in the BMP)

    KW> 2. The proposed name EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR is, IMO, a marginal
    KW> improvement over just EXTERNAL LINK, but is still rather too
    KW> close to suggesting a control function to me ...
    Therefore, I have changed the name to EXTERNAL LINK *SIGN*
    to emphasize its functional similarity to characters like
    U+00A9 COPYRIGHT SIGN or U+2122 TRADE MARK SIGN.
    KW> 3. The change to make this Bidi_Mirrored=Y will provoke another
    KW> fight ...
    This is not my intention, therefore I no longer propose that.
    KW> 4. ... appropriateness for encoding as a *character* ...
    I have addressed this in my recent draft, and tried to point out the
    differences to more iconic link symbols like "previous" or "home".
    Best wishes from Bavaria
    Karl Pentzlin