Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 18:34:57 CDT

    On 11/08/06, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > Andrew West <andrewcwest at gmail dot com>
    >
    > >> ... For example, the closed-lock symbol is often seen in Web browsers
    > >> to indicate an https: connection, and on pages to show that a given
    > >> link leads to a secure site.
    > >
    > > And to indicate whether a document is password protected or not, as
    > > for example on the SC2 Document Register page
    > > <http://lucia.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/itscj/servlets/ScmDoc10?Com_Id=02>.
    >
    > Sure. It's all over the place. But is it a character?

    Not yet. But I personally think that the open/closed padlock symbols
    have as much right to be encoded as characters as any of the other
    members of the elite Miscellaneous Symbols block. But, on the other
    hand, as Jukka and others have/will point out, most web designers will
    still use an image in preference to a coded character even if such
    symbols are encoded, because of limited font coverage; so some would
    argue that there is not much utility in encoding web symbols. I
    disagree, but can't think of a good counter-argument.

    Andrew