Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Neil Harris (neil@tonal.clara.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 19:34:07 CDT

    Andrew West wrote:
    > On 11/08/06, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >> Andrew West <andrewcwest at gmail dot com>

    >> > And to indicate whether a document is password protected or not, as
    >> > for example on the SC2 Document Register page
    >> > <http://lucia.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/itscj/servlets/ScmDoc10?Com_Id=02>.
    >>
    >> Sure. It's all over the place. But is it a character?
    >>

    > Not yet. But I personally think that the open/closed padlock symbols
    > have as much right to be encoded as characters as any of the other
    > members of the elite Miscellaneous Symbols block. But, on the other
    > hand, as Jukka and others have/will point out, most web designers will
    > still use an image in preference to a coded character even if such
    > symbols are encoded, because of limited font coverage; so some would
    > argue that there is not much utility in encoding web symbols. I
    > disagree, but can't think of a good counter-argument.
    >
    > Andrew

    You might also be interested in the list of icon symbols defined in the
    freedesktop.org icon naming specification at

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

    which is a fairly comprehensive attempt at giving standard names for a
    wide range of icons commonly used in computing.

    Some examples from this fairly long list include:

    document-revert The icon for the action of reverting to a previous
    version of a document.
    document-save The icon for the save action.
    document-save-as The icon for the save as action.
    edit-copy The icon for the copy action.
    edit-cut The icon for the cut action.
    edit-delete The icon for the delete action.camera-video The icon
    used for a video or web camera.document-properties The icon for the
    action to view the properties of a document in an application.
    document-revert The icon for the action of reverting to a previous
    version of a document.
    document-save The icon for the save action.
    document-save-as The icon for the save as action.
    edit-copy The icon for the copy action.
    edit-cut The icon for the cut action.

    audio-card The icon used for the audio rendering device.
    audio-input-microphone The icon used for the microphone audio input device.
    battery The icon used for the system battery device.
    camera-photo The icon used for a digital still camera devices.
    camera-video The icon used for a video or web camera.audio-card
    The icon used for the audio rendering device.
    audio-input-microphone The icon used for the microphone audio input device.
    battery The icon used for the system battery device.
    camera-photo The icon used for a digital still camera device

    -- Neil