W/o for without! (Was Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP)

From: pemuro (pmr@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 09:07:17 CDT

    Dear Asmus Freytag,
    I liked your documentation on other phonetic symbols in dictionaries -
    also crossed hammers, compass (for engineering)....
    I have cherished M. Webster's phonetics, syllable-boundaries ... WITHOUT
    RESPELLING. They packed into the one volume of their Collegiate
    dictionary where you would need to open at least 4 separate volumes of
    the German Duden (meaning with pronounciation, orthographie with
    hyphenation, etymology, thesaurus). It is much too much trouble for me
    to look up the same word in more than one volume, when I usually can
    find it one! Part of the place saving is the use of barred th digraph
    ..., abbreviations as w/o.. symbols for trades...
    Did you submit this documentation as a proposal? Or has it become
    support for a more general proposal as you suggest below?