Re: kurdish sorani

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 22:21:06 CDT

    Andries Brouwer wrote:

    > I think Uighur uses U+06D5 and U+06BE, but the shaping behaviour
    > of Kurdish H seem to differ from that of Uighur H.

    There is currently uncertainty over the correct encoding of the Uighur h. Although U+06BE
    is the obvious choice based on its shaping, at least some Uighur text seems to use the
    Arabic heh U+0647, which requires dedicated Uighur fonts or OT language system tag support.

    The Chinese draft standard for Uighur specifies U+06BE, which seems to me a sensible choice.

    Note that the preferred Uighur glyph shapes may vary slightly from those used for U+06BE
    in e.g. Urdu, but the differences are minimal.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC         john@tiro.ca