Re: Fw: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Henrik Theiling (theiling@absint.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 16:32:47 CDT

    Hi!

    Philippe Verdy writes:
    > From: "Mike" <mike-list@pobox.com>
    > >> That's the meaning I give to the question: "Time to deprecate C/C++ ?"
    > >
    > > This is probably not the forum for language wars. However, I will
    > > defend C++ as a viable language for Unicode programming. I have
    > > written a library that performs all four forms of normalization,
    > > upper/lowercase conversions, collation using the default Unicode
    > > collation element table (no tailoring just yet), and conversion
    > > between the various UTF's and Windows' little-endian UTF-16.
    > > Internally I use an unsigned int to hold code points, avoiding the
    > > uncertainty of wchar_t.
    >
    > "unsigned int" is not the adequate datatype ...

    This is quite an inappropriately general statement.

    wchar_t is only 16 bits wide on some systems. When I want to store a
    full Unicode character, I use uint32_t internally. It is a very
    adequate datatype in that situation.

    And I think Mike knows that (uint32_t const *)L"Hello World" is a bad
    thing (tm).

    **Henrik