Re: Problem with SSI and BOM

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 08:42:47 CST

    From: "Mark Cilia Vincenti" <mark@gfi.com>
    > i.e. a static HTML page has 3 SSI calls. One for the top template, one
    > for the side template and one for the bottom template. When the include
    > files (which contain HTML code) are saved as UTF-8 with a BOM, then the
    > BOM is being included, and right on top of the 3 templates an empty line
    > is being inserted.

    OK, but then I don't think that "an empty line is being inserted".
    I would just say that an empty line is *rendered* because the BOM in the middle of the page counts as an inline text element, which will appear on a separate row if it is followed by a HTML block element.

    if only a isolated ZWNBSP character could be treated as void in HTML renderers, like are most spaces; my opinion is that ZWNBSP should be made fully ignorable everywhere in a document by HTML parsers (yes I know, it would remove the "no break here" behavior, but anyway we have now another character for that use since long enough. If we just keep the BOM meaning for ZWNBSP, then BOM is significant only at the begining of the stream and fully ignorable everywhere else. Why don't HTML parsers just discard it?