Re: non-IPA primary/secondary stress marks?

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 14:19:24 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:44 PM
    Subject: Re: non-IPA primary/secondary stress marks?

    > Some phonetic notations using bolding for the stressed syllable instead of
    > any stress marks. Such notation cannot of course be written using plain
    > text only.

    As this is phonetic notation, and presumably therefore non-casing, what
    would one lose (except possibly respect and font support) by using the likes
    of U+1D41A MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL A? Such characters even have the benefit
    of having compatibility decompositions as the plain letters. (A similar
    trick was suggested to me for the italic letters in the Concise Oxford
    English Dictionary's respelling system. It wouldn't work for italicised
    letters in phonetic schemes using other scripts.)

    Richard.