Re: Another reason to love the Universal Character Set

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 11:23:02 CST

    From: "Henrik Theiling" <theiling@absint.com>
    > Philippe Verdy writes:
    >> From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    >> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Letter_to_Russia_with_krokozyabry.jpg
    >>
    >> Excellent! The comment does not say if that letter reached its
    >> destination, ...
    >
    > Hmm? It does. It did.

    You're right, I forgot to read after the licencing info that comes in the middle of the image description.

    Anyway, such letter is a good sample to test internationalization preparedness of postal services, and the solutions and training they have prepared to handle international text. This goes much farther than simple proparation to Unicode, as it tests the availability and knowledge of encoding mappings.

    May be there has been similar tests in China, India, Iran, or more interestingly in poorer countries like Laos and Cambodia, which are still not prepared with chip reliable computing solutions for their written languages. Although some support of the more common Latin-based charsets may be known, I guess there will be lots of difficulties if pairs of non-Latin scripts are involved.

    Thanks for postal services, most countries have adopted standard zip codes!