Re: what is the Unicode correspondent of character HORIZONTAL BAR from ISO/IEC 6397 ?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 13:09:34 CST

    > Cristian Secară <orice at secarica dot ro> wrote:
    >
    > > The ISO/IEC 6397 standard contains character 13/00 HORIZONTAL BAR. Is
    > > there a known (i.e. written somewhere) Unicode correspondent for this
    > > character ?

    Doug Ewell responded:

    > Since U+2015 has the same name, HORIZONTAL BAR, I assume that would be
    > the correct character.

    The 1999 revision of ISO 6937 aligned its character names with
    ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993. Although it doesn't contain a formal
    mapping between 6937 and 10646, in ISO-speak such an alignment
    of names is intended to identify characters between standards.

    Hence, the most correct mapping between them is:

    0xD0 0x2015 # HORIZONTAL BAR (quotation dash)

    > Unfortunately, that means there's an error in my 6937 converter, which
    > maps 13/00 to U+2014.

    Since U+2014 EM DASH is more widely supported than U+2015
    HORIZONTAL BAR, particularly if transcoded to other legacy
    8-bit character sets, U+2014 is a reasonable fallback conversion
    for ISO 6937 13/00 (0xD0).

    --Ken