FW: Unicode porting for C++ source on UNIX station.

From: Chen, John (John.Chen@aig.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 08:17:04 CST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Chen, John
    Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:56 PM
    To: 'unicode@unicode.org'
    Subject: Unicode porting for C++ source on UNIX station.

    Hi Every Unicode Expert,

    I am new in conducting Unicode conversion.
    Here is my environment:
        SunOS 5.8 (Solaris)
        Sun Forte 6 Update 2 C++ compiler;
        RogueWave 9 Update 1;
        Sybase 12.5. Table fields are set to univarchar.
    In my existing C++ source code, string class be used allover the place.
    I need porting the big project to using Unicode 5.0.

    So, I need more advice for the following issues:
    1. Is RogueWave 9 Update 1 is the right version who support to read
    Sybase table field (univarchar). My previous version could not read
                    It, new version not installed yet.
    2. How do I replace string class, by using RWCString or other better
                    Class?
    3. Any testing tool can be used to check entire source code for
    potential
                    problem such as character array floating, big endian and
    etc.. things.

    4. Do I need to set system/environment char set to be able to view the
                    Print out of Unicode.

    Above is what it comes to my mind so far, it may come out more questions.
    Please let me know your expertise solution for C++ Unicode conversion.

    Thanks advance.

    John