Re: Unicode and RFC 4690

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 02:40:15 CST

    On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:32:08AM +0200,
     Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote
     a message of 10 lines which said:

    > * avoiding labels using multiple scripts and informing users when an
    > IDN label may contain confusable characters. This is for the
    > immediate client-side need.

    And it is a terrible idea because, in many countries, Latin letters are
    used together with the local script, at least in the computing domain
    (Russia is a good example).

    > * developing a standard within the DNS that allows each DNS server
    > to specify which set of non confusable characters it accepts for
    > registration as subdomain names.

    Warning: registration is not done at the DNS server but at the
    registry system. There are much less registries than DNS servers so
    the need of a standard is less obvious.

    Otherwise, there *is* a standard to express the list of authorized
    characters (RFC 4290 and I attach a table at this syntax for the french
    language).

    It does not address confusability issues because the entire area
    is... confuse and has no solution. It is just a way for ICANN to step
    in the registration policies of TLDs.