Re: Kashmiri in the Person-Arabic script

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 10:04:39 CST

    Dheeraj Kumar wrote,

    > I think a few Kashmiri characters are missing and so are a
    > few Hazargi ones too. Given the diversity of languages and
    > scripts in India, I humbly request that the Unicode Consortium
    > be fast in incorporating other minor Indian languages into the
    > standard lest non-standard approaches become pre-dominant.
    > Manipuri is another language which may have characters requiring
    > standardization. Khasi and Garo also come to my mind as I write this.

    In order to become part of Unicode, somebody needs to write and
    submit a proposal. That's essentially the first step towards getting
    needed characters into the Standard.

    You mentioned Manipuri, for example.

    Meitei Mayek script (Manipuri) proposal:
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3158.pdf

    Research notes toward a Unicode encoding of Meitei
    by Dr. Richard S. Cook:
    http://unicode.org/~rscook/Meitei/
    (this link not working for me this morning, but it was working fine
    a few days ago)

    Information about scripts and characters under consideration
    as well as instructions for submitting new proposals can be found
    here:
    http://www.unicode.org/standard/where/

    Best regards,

    James Kass