Re: Fonts

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 12:46:21 CST

    On 13 Nov 2006, at 16:38, Adam Twardoch wrote:

    >> For more complex math, one needs something corresponding to a
    >> macro system; perhaps some lambda calculus may be used here, as a
    >> macro system quickly becomes rather crippling. In addition, I
    >> think an analysis of the math (human, natural) language is needed,
    >> to one can have develop a semantically correct syntax. I do not
    >> pretend this will come easy. :-)

    > ...I’m sure you mean "math (human, natural) language*s*". I believe
    > an analysis of just one language (for example, only Russian, or
    > only Farsi, or only English etc.) will not be greatly helpful.

    Sorry, I meant: analysis of written math as though it is a human,
    natural language.

    For example, if one wants to have superscripts to the left, one has
    to write ${}^ba$, which is semantically incorrect, as then the $b$
    will be a superscript of nothing, and further, if say the
    typographical position of $b$ should be adjusted relative to what it
    superscripts, this cannot be done. One can give more examples. I run
    across these examples naturally, because, when reality does not
    prevent me, I write on a thoerem prover. It then parses the math, and
    after the parse, one choose a printout based on the true semantic input.

       Hans Aberg