Re: Proposed new script for Quechua?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 17:43:09 CST

    > At < http://qollasuyu.indymedia.org/images/2003/05/105.jpg >, all
    > around the cover rim of an issue of _Tawa Intiraymi Qelqa_, a cacerist
    > (?) magazine, is a sample of what seems to be a proposed new script
    > for Quechua, mapped to latin counterparts (app. Velasco's
    > orthography).

    I'm thinking maybe we should wait to let these folks weigh in
    first:

    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academia_Mayor_de_la_Lengua_Quechua

    And since in 1990 they ratified the 31 Latin letter
    Alfabeto Básico del Quechua Imperial de 1975 for Quechua,
    also recognized by the Ministerio de Educación in Peru,
    (although with some differences in use of vowels), it
    seems nobody official is likely to be advocating a
    new *script* for Quechua any time soon.

    --Ken